To determine what is ethically good for the individual and for society, Aristotle said, “it is necessary to possess three virtues of practical wisdom: temperance, courage, and justice.” We are requesting immediate changes by the law enforcement community to:
- Develop and pass comprehensive city and state legislation to end discriminatory, unlawful, and abusive police practices.
- Create a registry that includes all law enforcement officers who have formal complaints filed against them by any citizen for misconduct and violation of their human and civil rights. This registry is to be managed by the LA Justice Department.
- Develop a simplified in person and online process for citizens to file complaints against law enforcers.
- Conduct a thorough review of police union practices and eliminate practices such as those that allow the District Attorney to accept police union financial support.
- Creation of an independent committee made up of law enforcement officers and informed diverse citizens to draft the terms and agreement around what determines a valid complaint.
- Increase transparency and accountability with independent mechanisms for Law Enforcement oversight.